Consultancy Services – retainer or ad hoc?
I’ve heard consultants discuss this quite often – is it best to insist on a retainer, or to offer ad hoc and project work?
Much depends on the offering and as much as we all love a good retainer, I prefer to adapt services where possible to suit my clients, rather than impose a set way of working – providing of course that it’s feasible to meet the outcomes within the required duration.
7 Reasons Retainers are Best
- Retainers forge a close bond between client and consultant.
- A good consultant becomes an in-house department without the overheads.
- A retained consultant is part of a team who can also handle unexpected requirements for additional capacity.
- The client is assured of ongoing support without disruption.
- The more familiar a consultant gets with their client, the more efficient they get meaning increased added value on an ongoing basis.
- The client is in control of the ongoing budget.
- A retained consultant is ALWAYS working for their clients – mentioning them and keeping alert for opportunities – much of this is non-chargeable it being second nature to a marketing and networking consultant.
7 Reasons to choose Ad hoc Consultancy
- Ad hoc and project work fits well with clients who want to address specific matters.
- Support is often in the form of training which by nature can be specific and modular.
- Ad hoc consulting can fill a gap while a company recruits.
- Ad hoc provision can align with clients’ financial peaks and troughs, seasonal trends and changing budget availability.
- Bringing in a consultant as and when required provides flexibility.
- No long-term contract means no agreement that subsequently becomes a burden.
- And finally – when impact like this can be made in an hour, who needs a retainer?
Get in touch if you’d like a chat, I’m happy to offer a free no obligation consultation remotely or face to face, and I love the interesting discussions that follow a blog post. Karen
Thank you Carrie McIntosh of Candid & Commercial Photographics for the review.